The process of evicting a tenant, in the state of Washington, is a complicated endeavor. The recent changes in the laws have only further complicated the process. In some cases, it will require the help of an attorney.

If you are going to try and do this without an attorney, here is some information that will help you:

Since you have landed on this page, it is safe to assume that you have googled evictions in Washington state.  It is also safe to assume that you have found that there are very little resources for landlords out there (other than ads for the companies that will charge you hundreds or thousands of dollars to handle to process for you). We have compiled this page as a resource for landlords who are trying to handle this situation alone. Evictions in the city of Seattle will have its own laws that may not apply within the rest of the state. Theoretically the process should take about 3 weeks from the time you serve the tenant the 3-day notice until sheriff’s deadline to complete the eviction. That’s if the tenant doesn’t fight the eviction. 

The most common argument that tenants bring to court is that they were never served.  Washington state law says that anyone can serve the papers if they are over the age of 18 and not party to the suit.  Using a professional process server can save you time and money in the long run. Professional process servers have a little more credibility with the court.  They are less likely to make a mistake in paperwork and many, like our process servers here at Battleborn, wear body cameras. With video footage there is really no denying that they have been served.  

Hopefully you have a signed lease agreement with the tenant. Having one takes some of the work out of having to evict someone.

This is a generalized timeline for eviction for nonpayment.  This is only a generalization and many factors can arise to delay the process:

  • The day after rent is due the landlord has the right to serve a 3 day notice.

Currently we do not have links to the forms for evictions.  New laws will take effect July 28th, 2019.  Forms will be added after that date.  The best place to find the current legal forms is your local county clerks office.  Any that you find on other websites may not be updated.